Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oliver Twist

What a sad book this was... I often thought of putting it down for good but the hope that things would improve for poor Oliver kept me going. And improve they did, at the very end. Still in my mind lingers the images of hungry, mistreated children. Those whose story did not end well or will not end well. Because such tragedies still happen today.
As a teenager, some of my favorite books were Emile Zola's. He's a French humanist writer. I don't think I would enjoy his books as much now. Having children made me a lot more sensitive to the suffering of innocent people.
The kids moderately enjoyed the book. Claire kept saying "Poor Oliver!" in echo to my own voice and all were glad to see the bad guys punished and some of the misled kids back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment